22 February 2010

Anecdotes galore!

I have so many small little anecdotes to tell you all about, that I've taken to writing down. So, this post will be more or less a list of things I've noticed, written down, experienced, etc. A lovely series of snapshots concerning Buenos Aires.

-There is a company that makes drinking glasses called “ORLY.” Only some of you will appreciate this. If you don't, here's some help:


-The Starbucks here at the mall (right next to Benihana and TGIFridays) is full of teenagers on dates. The fancy drinks are between 15-20 pesos... so, right on par with the drinks in good old Washington Square.

-People weren't lying when they said that men are aggressive here. I haven't experienced anything crass or abrasive, though. I've been called “hermosa” a couple of times, and exchanged smiles with boys on buses or in cafes. Buenos Aires is, on one hand, a huge ego boost, but on the other hand...

-If you're not a size 6, it's almost impossible to find cute clothing here. Shopping at the mall is like a visit to your doctor... or maybe your dietician. Oh, hey, this shirt is really cute. Do you have it in a large? No, only XXS, XS, S, and M.

-While shopping one morning at the local Disco (supermarket chain), I heard a Backstreet Boys song, and that one awful Madonna song about DJs. I felt like I was in 5th grade all over again. And speaking of being younger,

-Remember high school dances? Junior high dances? Remember the music? Well, there's a club that has hip-hop Thursdays... and according to friends who were there this past week, they played everything from “What's Your Fantasy” (is that the title? You know the song.) to “Get Low.” I cannot. wait. I'm going this week, for sure. And if they play Busta Rhymes, you can bet I'll be there every week.

Those are all the nice little anecdotes I have for you right now. I finally have power in my apartment again (!!!!!!!), so I'll be able to blog more often. I'll hopefully have more pictures for you soon, too!

Thanks for reading,
Kristina

3 comments:

  1. 1) You're gorgeous and I''m glad the Argentinian boys can see that
    2) I feel like, minus the lack of spanish speaking, that country is perfect for me due to its music choices
    3) You really really need to go to that club, because if they play Ludacris, than it's worth it
    4) I miss you
    5) If you see a footballer named 'Lionel Messi' you kidnap him and you send that boy to me, understand?

    ...although, he's probably in Barca right now. Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god this place sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, BA is defnitely awsome!
    You should go some day!
    I´ve been there last year, and had an amazing time!
    I lived in a Buenos Aires apartment for rent very near downtown, and it was really nice!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete